The overall housing density of the Aera Master Planned Community will be lower than each of the surrounding communities.
- Exploring the potential for annexationAera and Diamond Bar recently entered into a pre-annexation agreement to explore the possibility of annexing about two-thirds of Aera’s 2,935-acre property into the City’s boundaries. Aera is committed to working with the City and its residents throughout the review process.
Key points of information about the potential for annexation by Diamond Bar include:
- No approvals have been granted: The planning agreement does not constitute approval or a guarantee annexation will occur.
- Los Angeles/Orange County: The two counties will retain land-use authority over their territory outside the potential Diamond Bar annexation area.
- Recommended by LAFCO report: A 2005 Municipal Service Review issued by Los Angeles LAFCO (an independent board that reviews annexation matters) sugguested that the City of Diamond Bar is best suited to provide municipal services for the proposed community.
- Analysis on-going: In-depth studies are currently being undertaken to identify potential project impacts. These studies, along with feedback from local residents, will help Diamond Bar officials and Aera determine if annexation should be requested.
- Revenue for Diamond Bar: A preliminary study commissioned by Diamond Bar indicates the proposed annexation could provide a surplus of $1 million annually to Diamond Bar.
- Distinctive new homes: The Aera plan would offer a range of new-home options within the City.
- Roadway improvements: Aera will widen Brea Canyon Road to provide four lanes between the Brea Canyon Road and the Tonner Canyon Road SR-57 freeway interchanges.
- Recreational opportunities: A sports park and nature trails would be available for all local residents to enjoy.
- Natural open space: If annexation moves forward, the City would gain about 900 acres of open space, nearly tripling the 500 acres of parks and open space in the City today.
- Shopping: New retail and commercial opportunities are included in the plan.
- School site: A school site is reserved for the Rowland Unified School District.